Indian long jumper Ankit Sharma has qualified for the upcoming Rio Olympics after meeting the qualification mark in men’s long jump event of the ongoing Polish Athletics Championships in Kazakhstan on Sunday.
- He recorded a jump of 8.17 metres to surpass the Olympic qualification mark by 0.02 and creating new National record.
- He is the 24th long jumper to qualify for Rio Olympics
- Ankit Sharma belongs to Madhya Pradesh.
- Rio Olympics will be held from August 5 to August 21.
- In track event, sprinter Srabani Nanda from Odisha too qualified for Rio after she covered 200-meter in 23.07 seconds.
- Nanda has been close to the qualification mark for a long time but had failed to break it before Sunday. With Nanda, India will have two sprinters at Rio.
- Dutee Chand had qualified in the 100m event on Saturday.
2,019 total views, 6 views today