Election Commission officials on Wednesday barred Asaduddin Owaisi led All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) from contesting Maharashtra local body elections for failing to submit tax returns and audited accounts.
- Owaisi’s AIMIM has two members in the state Assembly.
- AIMIM also won 11 seats in the Nanded municipal polls in 2012.
- AIMIM made its biggest impression in Aurangabad last year after bagging 26 of the 54 seats.
- Now, AIMIM cannot contest local body elections in Maharashtra, including panchayat and civic body polls.
- Asaduddin Owaisi’s AIMIM party purportedly did not submit proper documents for Maharashtra civic polls.
- Notices were served to 326 parties for failure to submit necessary documents.
- EC deregistered 191 local political parties including AIMIM.
- 359 political parties have been registered with the Commission. Of these, 17 are recognised parties.
- Saharia said, “If the parties want to contest elections in Maharashtra, they have to register”
- Other Parties which lost their registration also includes RPI-Khobragade faction.
950 total views, 3 views today