Kerala police have made their first arrest two days ago in Kochi, the suspect, who is a migrant worker from Assam, has confessed to committing the gruesome murder of the law student in Perumbavoor.
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has also made a statement on this.
· Jisha rape and murder of the Dalit law student had sent shock waves across Kerala.
· This case had similarities to the 2012 gang rape of the 23-year-old woman in Delhi, the police were repeatedly criticized for not making a headway into the investigation.
· This Rape & murder was in focus during the May 16 Kerala Assembly poll campaigns with political parties attacking the then UDF regime for “tardy” progress in the investigation and its failure to nab the culprits.
· LDF government under the leadership of Pinarayi Vijayan came to power, a faster investigation and trial was promised.
· The law student lived with her mother in a small one-room house, indicating the abject poverty the family lived in.
· Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the murder had secured CCTV footage from a shop in the neighborhood to examine whether it captured movements of the suspected killer on the day she was murdered.
· The case is being investigated by a team headed by ADGP B Sandhya.
· Kerala Police await the DNA results of the suspect to check whether they match with the samples of saliva and blood found on her body.
· 4 friends of the suspect have also been detained.
· Kerala High Court had last week rejected the plea for a CBI probe into the case, noting that the new Special Investigation Team had been set up in the case.
1,236 total views, 1 views today